- Korea's Experience with Economic Planning.
Paper for The International Conference on the Problems of Modernization, sponsored by the Asiatic Research Center, Korea University, Seoul, Korea, June 28-July 7, 1965, pp. 517-531
- Trade and Investment as a Means of Economic Cooperation.
Paper for the Meeting of the Far East American Council of Commerce and Industry, October 4, 1971.
- The Impact of Oil Crisis on Korean Economy.
Paper for the Eighth Annual Meeting of the International Economic Consultative Group for Korea, July 2, 1975.
- Korea's Role in Economic Development of the Middle East.
Paper for the International Seminar on The Economic Development and Outlook of the Middle East, Seoul, June 11, 1976.
- The Role of the World Bank in Asia.
Paper for Japan Times, September 1976.
- Tiding over the Oil Crisis: To the Fourth Plan.
Paper for the Ninth Annual Meeting of the International Economic Consultative Group for Korea, March 29, 1977.
- The Role of the World Bank in the Economic Development of Korea.
Paper for Japan Times, September 1977.
- Korea and the International Business Community.
Paper for a meeting sponsored by Financial Times, September 8, 1977.
- Economic Prospects in the Pacific Basin with Special Reference to U.S.-Korean Economic Cooperation.
Paper for the Western Governors' Conference, Honolulu, Hawaii, June 16, 1978.
- New Challenges to the Korean Economy.
Paper for Seoul Correspondent's Club, Seoul, Korea, July 28, 1978.
- Toward a Greater International Cooperation for Development.
Paper for the Independent (Brandt) Commission on International Development Issues, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, November 24, 1978.
- The Developing Industrial Country and the Prospect for the 1980s.
Paper for the Financial Times Conference on Trade and Development, Frankfurt, Federal Republic of Germany, February 15, 1979.
- The Prospects of the Korean Economy in the 1980s.
Paper for speech at The Future of Business: Korea Program of the CSIS, held at Georgetown University, Washington, D.C., May 24, 1979.
- The Implications of the U.S.-Japan Trade Imbalances to Korea.
Paper for a lecture given at Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, Washington, D.C., May 25, 1979.
- The Development Mode of Korea.
Paper for speech at the Pacific Forum Conference, Seoul, September 9, 1979.
- The Social and Economic Conditions for Korea's Sustained Economic Growth.
Paper for speech given at the Conference on Korea: The Environment for Economic Growth, sponsored jointly by the Asia Society and the U.S.-Korea Economic Council, New York City, October 16, 1979.
- Toward a New Era of the U.S.-Korean Relationship.
Paper for speech at the Korea-U.S. Association, Seoul, Korea, January 21, 1981.
- Population Research and Population Policy in Korea in the 1970s.
Co-authored with Dr. Kong-Kyun Ro for Population and Development Review, December 1981, pp. 651-669.
- The Centennial of Korea-U.S.A. Relations: A Retrospect.
Paper for speech at a meeeting sponsored by Dong-A Ilbo, Seoul, May 1982.
- Korea's Economic Growth-Lessons and Prospects.
Paper for the Conference on Crisis and Opportunities for International Business and Finance, sponsored by Business Perspectives, London, England, June 8, 1992.
- Korea - Japan Economic Relations: Today and
Article for the Kokusaku
Kenkyukai (Institute for National Policies) presented at Japan Club, Tokyo,
Japan, April 12, 1983. Translation in edited version from Japanese
- The Role of the Asian Development Bank in the Economic Progress of the Region.
Paper for speech at the International Symposium on Development Strategies in Asia, held by the Asian Development Bank, Manila, Philippines, May 3, 1983.
- Asia Pacific Cooperation: An Alliance for Progress.
Article published in The Korean Journal of International Studies, Autumn 1983, pp. 321-325.
- Asia Pacific Cooperation: An Alliance for Progress.
Paper for the Thirteenth International Conference, sponsored by the Korean Institute of International Studies, Seoul, Korea, July 5-9, 1983.
- Reviving the Gold Standard: Implications for World Trade and Finance.
Paper for the World Conference on Economic and Social Order, sponsored by the Global Economic Action Institute, Seoul, Korea, August 21-26, 1983.
- Toward Greater Korean-American Business Understanding.
Paper for luncheon address at the American Chamber of Commerce in Korea, December 15, 1983.
- Partners in Progress: The Evolving U.S.-Korean Relationship.
Paper presented during visits to six major U.S. cities, January, 1984.
- ADB's Role in Financial Development: A Comment.
Paper for the meeting of Asian Development Bank in Manila, Philippines, November 19-21, 1984.
- Techniques for the Effective Transfer of Technologies.
Paper for the Second Symposium on Financial and Business Cooperation in Asia and the Pacific, sponsored by the Japan Export-Import Bank, November 1, 1984.
- Economist as Policymaker: A Personal Reflection.
Paper for speech at Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma, March 28, 1985.
- Korea's Economic Development: Retrospect and Prospects.
Paper for speech at an international meeting sponsored by the Korea Energy Institute, Seoul, Korea, May 23, 1985.
- The U.S.-Korea Economic Partnership: The Road Ahead.
Paper presented at the Western Governor's Conference, Honolulu, Hawaii, August 27, 1985.
- An Asian Perspective of the Current Trade Issues.
Paper for the seminar co-sponsored by the Asia Society and the East West Center, New York, September 24, 1985.
- Korea's Experience of Economic Growth.
Paper for the Fourth Annual Convention of the Argentine Association of Private Banks, Buenos Aires, Argentina, August 25-27, 1986.
- Korea-U.S. Trade Relations Revisited: A Korean View.
Paper for speech at the Institute for International Economics, Washington, D.C., October 14, 1986.
- Problems and Prospects of the Pacific Economies.
Paper for presentation at Brigham Young University, Salt Lake City, Utah, November 14, 1986.
- Progress of the Pacific Economies: 1986.
Paper for presentation at the Fifth Pacific Economic Cooperation Conference in Vancouver, Canada, November 17, 1986.
- Business Opportunities in Korea.
Paper for presentation at the Pacific Business Outlook Conference at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada, November 20-21, 1986.
- Korea's Import Diversification Program: Efforts to Balance Trade with the United States.
Paper for presentation before the National Association of Manufacturers, Washington, D.C., March 9, 1987.
- Trade Issues Facing the U.S. and Korea: Fortifying the Partnership.
Paper for speech at the Georgetown Trade Forum, Washington, D.C., March 10, 1987.
- Some Reflections on the Changing U.S. Role in World Trade.
Paper for the Korean Seminar for Corporate Executives on Korea-U.S. Economic Relations, co-sponsored by the Brookings Institute and the Ilhae Institute, Seoul, Korea, March 20, 1987.
- Korea's Experience of Economic Development.
A lecture given in acceptance of the Henry G. Bennet Distinguished Service Award at Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma, May 9, 1987.
- Current and Future Relations between Korea and the United States.
Paper for speech before the East-West Center Executive Committee Meeting, San Diego, California, March 18, 1988.
- Europe and Korea: An Evolving Partnership.
Paper for presentation at the Royal Institute for International Relations, Brussels, Belgium, April 14, 1988.
- The United States and Korea: Partners in Trade.
Paper for presentation before the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Washington, D.C., May 13, 1988.
- A Reflection on the PECC.
Paper for the PECC Standing Committee Meeting, Wellington, New Zealand, October 4, 1988.
- Strategy for Economic Development: Korean Experiences.
Paper for presentation at the Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, Delhi, India, November 21, 1988.
- Future of Indian-Korean Economic Cooperation.
Paper for presentation at the Trade Fair Authority of India, New Delhi, India, November 22, 1988.
- Role of Private and Public Sectors: The Korean Experience.
Paper for presentation at the ADB Roundtable on Development Strategies, Manila, Philippines, January 9-11, 1989.
- The New Horizon for Korea-U.S. Trade Expansion: The New Partnership with the Bush Administration.
Diplomacy, Volume XV, No. 1, January 1989, pp. 20-24.
- Pressure Will Jeopardize Traditional ROK-U.S. Ties.
Diplomacy, Volume XV, No. 5, pp. 18-19.
- The Changing Structure of World Trade: Implications for Pacific Basin Countries.
Paper for presentation before the Twenty-Second International General Meeting of the Pacific Basin Economic Council (PBEC), Taipei, Taiwan, May 18, 1989.
and Market-Opening Efforts in Korea
originally entitled, "The Current Trade Issues between the U.S. and
Korea." presented at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Washington, D.C.,
April 10, 1989
- The European Single Market at the Cross Roads: An Asian Perspective.
Paper presented to the Twentieth WTCA General Assembly in Geneva, Switzerland, September 12, 1989.
- Strategy for Economic Development: Korean Experiences.
Paper prepared for a roundtable talk with Yugoslav economists in Belgrade, Yugoslavia, September 19, 1989.
- Prospects of Expanding Economic Relations between Switzerland and Korea.
Paper for speech before the Inaugural Meeting of the Swiss-Korean Chamber of Commerce, Zurich, Switzerland, September 27, 1989.
- Changing Patterns of Economic Interaction in Northeast Asia and the United States.
Paper for the international symposium, "In Search of a New Order in East Asia," co-sponsored by the Institute of East Asian Studies, University of California at Berkeley, and the Dong-A Ilbo of Seoul, Santa Barbara, California, February 1-3, 1990.
- Global Competition and International Cooperation.
A luncheon address at the Senior Policy Seminar on "International Competitiveness: Public Sector/ Private Sector Interface," sponsored by the Korea Development Institute and Economic Development Institute, Seoul, Korea, April 18-21, 1990.
- Korea's Experience with Economic Development under the Market System.
Paper for presentation at Institute of Oriental Studies, Russian Academy of Science, Moscow, USSR, June 5, 1990.
- The Role of East Asia in the World Economy.
Paper for speech at an international meeting in Vladivostok, USSR, September 4-6, 1990.
- Asian Perspective and South Korean Initiatives.
Paper for speech at the General Assembly of the World Trade Centers Association (WTCA): Trade Policy Panel Presentation on "Eastern European Trade Opportunities," St. Paul, Minnesota, October 4, 1990.
- Korea and Eastern Europe
Paper presented at the World
Trade Centers Association (WTCA) General Assembly, St. Paul, Minnesota, October
- Implications of the Outcome of the Gulf War with respect to Korea-U.S. Relations.
Paper for speech at the Mini-Seminar Meeting, sponsored by Carnegie Endowment for Peace, Washington, D.C., March 19, 1991.
- Korea-Australia Economic Relations: Partnership toward the Pacific Era.
A keynote address at the Korea-Australia Forum, Seoul, Korea, April 8, 1991.
- The Prospect of Economic Cooperation in Northeast Asia.
Paper for the Asia Pacific Institute Seminar in Tianjin, People's Republic of China, September 2-7, 1991.
- Economic Integration of Central and Eastern Europe in the World Market: An Asian Perspective.
Paper for the WTCA General Assembly: Trade Policy Panel Presentation, Budapest, Hungary, October 10, 1991.
- The Leadership Role of the Government in the Early Stage of the Economic Development: The Korean Experience.
Paper for speech at the High Road Forum, OECD, Paris, France, November 25-26, 1991.
- Open-regionalism in the Asia-Pacific Region.
Paper for the meeting of Korean-American Chamber of Commerce, organized by the World Trade Center of San Francisco, San Francisco, September 21, 1992.
- Korea's Economic Take-Off in Retrospect.
Paper for the Second Washington Conference of the Korea-America Economic Association, Washington, D.C., September 28-29, 1992, published in S. Y. Kwak, ed., The Korean Economy at a Crossroad (Praeger, Westport, CT, U.S.A., 1994), pp. 3-19.
- Trade Policy and International Competitiveness: The Korean Experience.
Paper for the Conference on South Africa's International Economic Relations in the 1990s, Transvaal, South Africa, April 27-30, 1993.
- Economic Cooperation in Northeast Asia in the Age of Regionalism.
Paper for the Conference of the International Economic Association, Pohang University, June 24-26, 1993.
- Trend of the Global Economy and Sino-Korea Economic
A keynote address at the
meeting of the Sino-Korea Intellectual Exchange Program held at Beihai, China,
Ocotober 17-19, 1994.
- Multilateral Economic Cooperation in Northeast Asia.
A keynote address before the Fifth Meeting of the Northeast Asia Economic Forum, Niigata, Japan, February 16-17, 1995.
- Implication of Globalization for Korea-U.S. Economic Relations.
" A keynote address before the Conference on "Globalization and Korea-U.S. Economic Relations," Korea Institute, Harvard University, September 8-9, 1995.
- The Role of Government in the Early Stage of Development.
Newly written for this book, April, 1996.
- New Challenges Facing the Multilateral Trading System.
A keynote address before the Ninth Trade Policy Forum, Pacific Economic Cooperation Council, Seoul, September 11, 1996.
and its implication for Korean-Australian Economic Relations
prepared for presentation at the Victoria University, Merborn, Austria March
Economic Relations: Today and Tomorrow
address at the opening ceremony of the 9th Sino-Korea Intellectual Exchange
program, October 7, 1997
Financial Crisis and Policy Challenges
Participant's Meeting (Washington,D.C.) May 5, 1998
Crisis in Korea
for presentation at the 11th Conference of the Korea U.S. Business Council
at the Maui Prince Hotel, Maui Hawaii. on January 19, 1998
Observations oh the Reform Policies in Korea
for a Seminar on Banking Reform held at the World Bank, October 5, 1998
Resolutions of Non-Performing Assets: Korean Experience
text prepared for presentation at the Seminar held by the World Bank in
on the Progress of Structural Reforms in Korea
source of data is a document prepared by Financial Supervisory Commission
dated May 21, 1999
is a Northeast Asian Development Bank Needed?
of Discussions in the Northeast Asia Economic Forum, 1999
Years After the financial Crisis and the IMF intervention
at the Steering Committee of the Korea-U.S. Business Council Big Island,
Hawaii on January 18, 2000
Story of Structural Reform in Korea
Address prepared for presentation before the meeting held by the State Government
of Hawaii, August 28, 2000
the Current Predicaments in Korea
text prepared for presentation before the Korea-U.S. Economic Council. January
in Northeast Asia -The Need for A Development Bank-
text of speech prepared for a meeting in September, 2003
Need for A Development Bank in Northeast Asia
address be for the Boao Forum for Asia Conference 2-3 November 2003
Asia and the EU
Remarks at the EU Parliamentarians and Experts Meeting, Brussels, Belgium,
4-5 December 2003
Greater Integration of East Asia
note Address for the inauguration of the East Asia Forum, Seoul. December
Thought on the Economic Integration in East Asia
Logistic Roles in Northeast Asia
key note Address at the Seoul Meeting of the IBC Forum, 18 October 2004
Reflection on PECC's Twenty-Five Years:A Story with an Evolving Future
commemoratives speech to be delivered at the 16th General Meeting of PECC
held in Seoul on September, 5-7 at the Welcoming Dinner on September
Asia and the United States : a Korea perspective - Proposals for NEADB
and NASO -
Keynote Address prepared for the Wes Wakins Lecnueship and presented at
Oklahoma State University, September 12, 2005
Remarks of Korean-American Friendship Award
Does Energy Security Mean
Address at Korean Oil and Gas Conference 2006, November 7, 2006